Saturday, November 15, 2008

I love my students

Yesterday, I gave my Islam test. (Yes! I'm done with Islam for a year!) One of the questions on the test was the following: "How was much of the ancient Greek and Roman learning preserved by the Islamic Empires?" The answer I was looking for was: "Muslim scholars translated the classics into Arabic. They were translated back during the Renaissance." Here are some of the awesome answers that I got from my students on their tests:
"A lot"
"Not much"
"It wasn't"
"15,000"
"They believed in it"
"They got attacked"
"They preserved it"
1st runner-up: "When the volcano erupted, the city was put into a cocoon."
And my personal favorite: "1882"

By the way, most of my students did very well on the test. Perhaps I need to reword this particular question for next year...

3 comments:

Emily said...

I totally know what you mean. When I taught a unit on the hero's quest I told my students all about Joseph Campbell's model of the steps a hero takes and then showed them Star Wars. One of my students asked me beforehand, "Isn't that movie from, like, the 1970's? Is it in black and white?"

Nathan said...

Kids not knowing about Star Wars? I think that's the first sign of the Apocalypse...

Mary said...

Volcano Cocoons are awesome! Give that kid an A+.