Friday, December 26, 2008

'Twas the night before Christmas...

...and all through the land,
Not a creature was stirring,
Except for poor Dad.

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
as Dad wrapped the last present with mere minutes to spare.
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of diagrams danced in Dad's head.

And Mama in her jammies, not wearing a cap,
Had just settled down for a long winter's nap,
When downstairs in the garage there arose such a clatter,
she sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.

"Sorry," said Dad, as he picked up his tools,
"I should have paid more attention in school.
I didn't know I'd need an engineering degree,
To assemble a bike for a child, age three."

His eyes -- how they drooped! His countenance how wan!
Muscles drawn taut, trying to force a piece on.
His grim little mouth was drawn up in a grimace,
As he said, "Hand me my shears; I'm just going to trim this."

Mama smiled and said, "Can I help you at all?"
Dad replied, "No dear, I've just hit a wall.
I'll be done in no time, don't worry your head."
Mama said, "Okay, honey," then went back to bed.

A monkey wrench he held tight in his teeth,
And the bicycle's chain 'round his head like a wreath
He had a dour face and a little round belly,
From eating too much of the cranberry jelly.

Not to mention the cookies left out for St. Nick,
Dad polished those off, and he did it right quick.
"After all," explained Dad to the toys he was wrapping,
"I'm gonna need fuel to keep me from napping."

"After I finish this bike, you see,
It will already be seven minutes to three.
And while the children continue to snore,
I've got to make sure that this dino will roar."

Then he laughed and got back to his fatherly duties,
Assembling and wrapping and dropping tools on his footies.
And when the last present was under the tree,
He admired his handiwork, then dropped to his knees.

He gave thanks to Jesus for making him "Dad."
For his wife and his children and all that he had.
Then he finally crept into bed, only to hear,
"Wake up, Dad! It's Christmas! Santa was here!"

-Nathan Beach, December 26th, 2008
Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Marty said...

This is a wonderful, wonderful, poem. I'm proud to know you. mommy

Mary said...

awesome poem. Is that the blog you said you were writing in your head on Christmas? :)

Emily said...

Coolio!